Open Letters Review Website and Social Media Policies
Welcome to Open Letters Review (OLR). By accessing or using OLR, you signify that you have read, understood, and agreed to our Site Policies.
We reserve the right to amend our Site Policies at any time at our sole discretion, and will publish any changes on our Site Policies page. It is the reader’s responsibility to review our Site Policies before using this site, as after any such changes, your continued use of OLR constitutes your acceptance of the revised Policies.
WHAT IS OPEN LETTERS REVIEW?
Open Letters Review is dedicated to reviewing the arts in an informed, accessible, and intelligent manner. We also hope to provide engaged, enthusiastic criticism and commentary displaying our passion for art across a broad spectrum of forms, and encourage our readers to participate with their own opinions, objections, and arguments. We hope these policies do not quench debate, but help it to flourish within the bounds of legal and civil discourse.
USING OUR MARKS
Open Letters Review, its logos, and all related product and service names, design marks and slogans belong to OLR. You are not authorized to use the name Open Letters Review or our marks in any advertising, publicity or in any other commercial manner without the prior written consent of OLR.
SUBMISSIONS/TERMS OF PUBLICATION
Upon acceptance, you grant Open Letters Review to one month exclusive rights from the date of publication, as well as anthology rights. You retain copyright ownership of your work and can publish it any time after that month. We expect but do not require acknowledgement in the form of a link to OLR if the piece is published elsewhere.
CONTENT AND COMMENTS
The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed on OLR and its social media channels belong solely to the author, and not necessarily to the author’s employer, organization, committee or any other group or individual.
All users of our website and social media channels shall comply with all federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to copyright, trademark, truth in advertising, and all related laws.
You agree not to post content that is illegal, obscene, threatening, defamatory, invasive of privacy, infringing of intellectual property rights (including publicity rights), or otherwise injurious to third parties, or any form of "spam" or unsolicited commercial messages. Do not use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, or otherwise mislead as to your identity or the origin of the content you post. You hereby represent that you are the owner of all the copyright rights with respect to, or that you have the legal right to post content.
Users shall not disclose, post or send any confidential or proprietary information to the editors of OLR or our social media channels. Any feedback, data, answers, questions, comments, suggestions, and the like which you send to us will be treated as being non-confidential and non-proprietary. Any information you choose to provide may be reproduced, used, and distributed by us for any purpose without restriction.
You are solely responsible for your interactions with other OLR readers and visitors (users). We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to monitor disputes between users on the OLR website or social media channels. OLR shall have no liability for interactions between, or for any user’s action or inaction.
OLR reserves the right to monitor, reject and/or remove any user content at any time that we believe violates these terms.
Open Letters Review shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or connected with anything on the OLR website or social media channels. This includes special, indirect, consequential, or incidental damages or damages for loss of profits, revenue, use or data, or anything else connected with a reliance upon or performance of materials on or accessed from the OLR website.
Open Letters Review is intended solely for users who are thirteen (13) years of age or older, and any use or access to OLR by anyone under 13 is unauthorized, unlicensed, and in violation of our Site Policies. We do not intend to collect personal information from anyone under 13 years of age. If we are made aware that information is or has been submitted by or collected from a child under the age of 13, we will delete this information.
COPYRIGHTED INFORMATION AND FAIR USE
This site contains excerpts of copyrighted material, the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We make use of copyrighted material for the purpose of analysis, review, criticism, recommendation, and commentary. This constitutes the “fair use” of copyrighted material as provided for in Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 of United States Copyright Law, without the need for permission from or payment to the copyright holder.
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES OR SERVICES
Open Letters Review may contain links posted by our Editors or users to third-party websites, advertisers, or services that are not owned or controlled by OLR. Therefore, OLR has no control over, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third party websites or services. If you access a third party website from OLR, you do so at your own risk, and you understand that OLR’s Site Policies do not apply to your use of such sites. You expressly relieve OLR from any and all liability arising from your use of any third-party website or services or third party owned content.
Open Letters Review is committed to protecting the privacy of our user’s personal information that may be collected by use of our contact form, email address, subscription form, or social media channels.
Please note that when interacting with the editors of OLR on our social media platforms, you are responsible for any information you disclose on those channels, and you are aware that information you share online is public.
- We collect non-personally identifiable information about you depending on what you do when visiting our site.
- When you visit OLR, Google Analytics collects and stores information about you such as: the date and time you visit our site, and the Internet address of the website from which you accessed our site. We use the information we collect to measure the number of visitors to the different sections of our website, and to help us make our website more useful to visitors.
- You may also choose to send us personally-identifiable information. For example, you may include personal information in an email, or when subscribing to our email list.
- Whether or not you provide personally-identifiable information is completely your own choice. We will not obtain personally-identifying information about you when you visit our website unless you choose to provide that information to us.
- Open Letters Review shall attempt to safeguard any personally-identifiable information in accordance with reasonable standards currently in use for other similarly situated websites. Open Letters Review will comply with any subpoenas for this information as necessary so long as such subpoena is legally binding.
Use of Information
- In general, we will only use the information you provide to us for its intended purpose. We may also use this information to contact you when necessary, or to deliver information about OLR.
- We may use personally-identifying information from you to respond to your inquiries, but we do not sell or rent that information to third parties. However, you should be aware that although we have security measures in place (see "Security" below), the possibility exists that others will illegally access such information and use it—though any such use would be without our consent.
- We do not purposefully collect sensitive information such as medical, health, racial, ethnic, political, religious, philosophic, union membership or sexual orientation. If we are made aware that we have received such information, we will delete it.
- Our website has industry standard security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of your personal information.
CORRECTIONS AND UPDATES
If you see inaccurate information on Open Letters Review, please email the corrected or updated information to email@example.com.
Unfortunately, to the extent that such information may also be stored elsewhere, we cannot always ensure that such corrections or deletions will reach other locations.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Open Letters Review from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees) arising from: (i) your use of and access to OLR, including any data or content transmitted or received by you; (ii) your violation of any term of our Site Policies, including without limitation your breach of any of the representations and warranties above; (iii) your violation of any third-party right, including without limitation any right of privacy, publicity rights or intellectual property rights; (iv) your violation of any law, rule or regulation of the United States or any other country; (v) any claim or damages that arise as a result of any of your content.